Saturday, March 1, 2014

Day 3: Test Prep

http://4vector.com/i/free-vector-scroll-clip-art_109080_Scroll_clip_art_hight.png


Most of the time spent was with the seventh grade advanced class.
When the class began, they changed the room back into groups instead of rows. This leads me to believe that the rows are only a set up for testing or during RTI. They also changed their reading/writing groups, since many of the students were asking for a change. The teacher complied and new groups were formed. Once this was settled, each group was assigned a leader who would ask other students to do different tasks while they answered a question about the text they were reading, a Retrieved Reformation. Each group got a single question; those same questions will be questions they would solve on their tests. Each group was also assigned a scribe to take notes/responses to the question.
While the students where answering, Joey and I traveled around the room and discussed the questions with certain groups. One group in particular seemed stuck, as their question was about a character that had very little interaction in the story. They also seemed a little confused by the fact that another character, which was linked to their character, was unable to escape a bank safe. I tried to make an outside connection using the Twilight Zone. I mentioned a story where the main character locked himself in a safe so he could peacefully read and something occurs that wipes out civilization. It was to help them understand how secure and tough safes held through. The reference did not seem to help them. However, as we continued talking, I assisted them in finding a good quote in their text to work off of. This did seem to help and they were well off for most of the time.
Another group was answering the question very well, but I knew they needed to have a little more data to prove and “extend” their answer. Part of answering their questions involves a process known as ACE response, Answer/restate-Cite evidence-Extend your answer. When searching for a word to describe a certain character, one student used a word that was a synonym for one of their vocabulary words. I did not tell him which word, only that he used a similar word to his vocabulary. Sure enough, the group was able to find the word and used it in their response. Their teacher was impressed by their work.
I realized from this that even the most hardworking and bright students need scaffolding. This was a good experience to see how to provide this scaffolding and when. I cannot wait to help co-teach next week, especially since they are going further into historical texts.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to comment on your entire week here, if you don't mind.

    I like how, even from the first day, you know such specific details about the classes you are observing. That's a great skill.

    I liked your technology suggestion, and I'll have to remember it. We have more technology for use in the school I'm at, but we still need to supply our own laptop for the classroom projector, even though it's built in.

    When, on your Day two reflection, you talked about writing poems, I was very happy. Once again, poetry isn't a scary thing.

    I really liked how throughout your reflections, you focus on the layout of the room. It's interesting to see your conclusions. I wonder if you noticed any impact?

    As for the Twilight Zone reference, you never really know what they will "get," and what they won't. Songs, bands, pop culture.... You never know before you say it (who would have thought a good chunk of our students would get an Anchorman reference from a visitor to the class?).

    I really like how you seemed to "jump right in," and roamed and interacted heavily right from the get-go. You even helped them in groups. It shows a lot of initiative. Good for you.

    I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are enjoying your middle school placement. The idea that even the brightest students need some scaffolding is awesome. Sometimes I feel those students are forgotten or just left alone, and even themselves are scared to ask for help, so this realization is something that I myself have seen. When we plan to help students we cannot forget a single one. I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete